Philanthropy has become a “hot buzz word” in the racing industry. Athletes, both young and old want to better themselves through racing, and many of them want to achieve more than that. Individual fundraising gives athletes extra motivation during their journey to race day.
ITS YOUR RACE has always allowed events using the platform for online registration to set up CHARITIES . This allows all registrants (and even non-registrants) to simply put in a donation for your charity during the registration process. Now, you can take that one step further and enable FUNDRAISING. This feature reaches out to athletes that have registered and asks them not only to donate to the charity, but to create an individual fundraising page, set a goal and enlist others to donate.
To enable this feature, first, you must have online registration enabled and a payment type set up (check or direct deposit). ITS YOUR RACE will pay all donations out to that entity and it will be the event’s responsibility to pay out their charity. We provide detailed donation reports so the event can reconcile all donations owed.
Go to the FUNDRAISING menu item in the admin tool.
Fill out the settings:
- Title: What do you want to call your event’s fundraising campaign? (eg. The Myrtle Beach Run for Breast Cancer 5K Fundraising”
- Enable fundraising should be set to YES if you are ready to turn it on
- Goal: how much do you want all of your participants to raise for this event? We keep track of your progress and goal through a meter on your event’s fundraising page. You should set a realistic goal given the size of your event to encourage participants to set realistic goals for their personal efforts.
- Allow Contributors to Pay Processing Fees: (ITS YOUR RACE charges a flat rate of 6% plus $0.30 for all charitable donations made through the fundraising or donation platform. If you select “YES” for this setting, a donor will be given the option to add the fee to their donation, or exclude the fee from their donation. If you select NO for this setting, the fees will automatically be deducted from all donation amounts)
- This is probably the most important part of the fundraising page. Tell people why they should become individual fundraisers and exactly what or who the charity that benefits from the fundraising helps. Tell them about the various awards that are given to the top fundraisers. You can copy and paste photos from your charity’s website here.
- Award Levels: You can encourage your fundraising efforts by having different awards and levels. For example, a free entry to next year’s race (or a refund for this year’s race) if they raise $250. A free tech shirt if they raise $400. And so on.
Charities – in order for fundraising to be turned on, you must add at least one charity for the fundraising efforts to benefit. After you’ve filled in all of the fundraising settings, select the CHARITIES menu item and click the link to ADD A NEW CHARITY. Fill out the information for your charity. Again, the full description is very important because it tells the story on why people should donate to this particular charity. Add images and tell the story as best as possible.
Here is an example of a fundraising campaign:
Happy New Year from ITS YOUR RACE! We hope all of our timers and race directors have had a great racing year in 2015, and are making plans for even more success in the new year.
We’re busy making updates these next few weeks to release at the Jaguar User Conference in St. Louis, but we’ve got a few minor updates now that we want to keep our customers up on:
- QUICK ACTIONS drop down box – This was a feature request from several timers regarding the ease of navigation in the admin tool for events. When you are managing an event now, you’ll see the QUICK ACTIONS dropdown in the upper right corner of the admin screen. This allows you direct access to any IYR feature for that event:
- Ability to COPY registrant information from one participant to another during the same transaction – Many people register for races with family members, which means that the majority of their participant information (address, name, phone number, emergency contact info, etc) stays the same. This can be especially frustrating on race day when people are trying to quickly navigate through the registration process. We now have a dropdown available for all participants after the first one that allows you to COPY any other participant’s information:
- SOLD OUT feature – When you have limits on a registration type and that limit has been reached, we now have a notification that lets people know that the registration type has been SOLD OUT:
- Credit Card Descriptor – Need to see what’s showing up on a Participant’s credit card statement? You can now view the CREDIT CARD DESCRIPTOR under the REGISTRATION SETTINGS
We receive this question a lot from timers when they are trying to get their race director to fill out the payment information for online registration. Some event directors get lost in setting up an account on ITS YOUR RACE or can’t figure out how to get in to the admin section to sign up for online registration. This post will help you trouble-shoot with your event director if they are having trouble.
It’s important to note first that ITS YOUR RACE was designed to help our Jaguar Timers have an all-in-one platform that allows them to set up online registration for their race director and then have all of that registration data in the exact format that they need for timing on race day. It also allows them to upload live photos, results and athlete tracking data directly from their timing system. The expectation is that the TIMER sets up the event and INVITES THE OWNER to fill out the payment information. Below is the process that occurs from a timer setting up an event to an event owner filling out payment information and finally, the timer taking registration live.
- The timer logs in, goes to MY ACCOUNT, MANAGE EVENTS and CREATE A NEW EVENT. During the event creation process, you’ll be asked to fill out event details, create RACES (which are the equivalent of the JAGUAR DIVISIONS that you plan on setting up in your timing system on race day), create a WAIVER, SHIRT SIZE COLLECTION and set up WAVES (if applicable). Finally, you will be asked to set up REGISTRATION TYPES. These are what the participant sees when they go to sign up for the event. Example registration types are 5K Adult, 5K Student, 5K Family of 4 and Kids Fun Run.
- Once you have gone through that process, we will ask you if you want to sign up for registration services. CHECK THE BOX that says “Sign up for registration” and then agree to the terms of service that IYR will be this event’s sole provider of online registration.
- Next, it will ask you what your ROLE in the event is. Check the box that says TIMER and a form will automatically appear prompting you to invite your OWNER. Only people with OWNER permissions can fill out the payment information for an event. We give you the option to fill in a custom note for your event director. I always recommend telling the event owner about the software briefly and what they should do with the invitation they are receiving. Feel free to copy and paste the text below:
“This is the registration software we’ll be using to allow participants to register online for your race. Please create an ITS YOUR RACE login to access the admin dashboard for your event. Once you are on the admin dashboard, click REGISTRATION SIGN UP and then fill out the payment option and information. Let me know if you have any questions!”
- This is the email that your owner receives:
*Troubleshooting tip* Due to spam filters on some workplace email addresses, we’ve had a few complaints that owners do not receive the invitation and therefore cannot complete the process. If this happens, ask them to CREATE AN ACCOUNT ON ITS YOUR RACE with the SAME EMAIL ADDRESS that you invited to the event. Go to MY ACCOUNT and within the dropdown click on EVENT INVITES. This will allow them to view the email above without receiving it in their inbox. They can click on the link in the invitation that will take them to their admin dashboard and prompt them to fill out the registration payment information.
- Once an owner receives the email, the click on the link and are taken to a page that prompts them to create an account on IYR:
- In most cases, the owner will be creating an IYR account:
- Once they create their account, they are taken to a page that tells them what their role as an EVENT OWNER is:
- This is where I feel that some owners may get confused. Once they get to the dashboard, they need to click on the REGISTRATION SIGN UP menu item:
- When they click on this, they will be taken to the page where they agree to sign up for online registration through ITS YOUR RACE and then select their payment option:
- Once they fill out all of the information for those options, you will be able to turn registration on by logging in and going to the ADMIN for the event, going to REGISTRATION and setting ALLOW REGISTRATION to YES and clicking SAVE. As long as you have previously set up your RACES and REGISTRATION TYPES during the event setup wizard, your registration will be ready to go live: